Auditions for “Over the River and Through the Woods”
August 28 @ 7:00 pm - August 29 @ 7:00 pm
Monday, August 28 at 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, August 29 at 7:00 p.m.
(It is only necessary to attend one night of auditions.)
REHEARSALS: September 11 – October 18
SHOW DATES: October 19 – November 12
DIRECTOR: Carlos Francisco Asse
STAGE MANAGER: Allison Metcalf
ABOUT THE SHOW
Both sets of Nick Cristano’s old-school, first-generation Italian-American grandparents – Nunzio and Emma Cristano, and Frank and Aida Gianelli – are a little too close for his comfort. You might think they’d be thrilled for Nick when he’s promoted from a marketing representative to an executive position in Seattle – but since it’s across the country from home in Hoboken, New Jersey, none of them are on board. How is he supposed to keep joining them every Sunday for dinner, as he’s done for his entire life, if he’s two thousand miles away? And how better to keep their single grandson close to home than to find him a romance with a nice local girl? (With a nice local Catholic girl, of course… like Caitlin O’Hare.) So the grandparents start scheming… This warm-hearted comedy is a touching ode to family, food, and tradition.
• Nick Cristano: In his thirties. The single grandson of Frank and Aida, Nunzio and Emma. Nick’s parents and sister long ago moved away from the Northeast, but he continues to go every week to visit and share Sunday dinner with his grandparents.
• Frank Gianelli: Eighty years old. Nick’s maternal grandfather. Husband to Aida (pronounced like the opera). At the young age of 14, he was sent away from his family and came to the United States in search of a better life, becoming a carpenter/contractor who built his own home. Note: The ability to play the mandolin is a strong bonus in casting this role.
• Aida Gianelli: In her seventies. Nick’s maternal grandmother. Frank’s wife. She is the middle sister of seven girls and married the first man to notice her. Aida has not had much schooling, but has become a great cook.
• Nunzio Cristano: In his seventies. Nick’s paternal grandfather. Emma’s husband. They live down the street from the Gianellis. Nunzio was a Ford factory worker for 27 years and got his job by pretending he was Irish. He is sick with cancer but has not told anybody besides Emma.
• Emma Cristano: In her seventies. Nick’s paternal grandmother. Nunzio’s wife. Emma is a good-hearted loud-mouth and busybody.
• Caitlin O’Hare: In her late twenties. The attractive and charming single niece of Emma’s canasta partner. She is a veterinarian’s assistant and has been invited to dinner as a blind date for Nick.
ABOUT AUDITIONS, REHEARSALS, AND PERFORMANCES
Actors will be asked to read selected scenes from the script at auditions. Newcomers and theatre veterans alike are welcome and encouraged to audition. If you are unable to attend the scheduled auditions, please contact the Theatre to make a separate appointment.
Copies of the script are available at the Theatre and may be checked out from the box office with a $10 refundable deposit. Box office hours are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Please call (352) 236-2274 before coming to make sure a script is in stock. If you check out a script the week before auditions, you must return it by 5:30 p.m. on Friday, August 25.
Rehearsals begin September 11 and will be held Monday through Friday from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Please bring to auditions a list of potential conflicts with rehearsals. There will be 20 public performances of “Over the River and Through the Woods” from October 19 – November 12.