- This event has passed.
La Cage Auditions
July 17 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES
Book by Harvey Fierstein
Music and Lyrics by Jerry Herman
Based on the play by Jean Poiret
Monday, July 17 at 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, July 18 at 7:00 p.m.
(It is only necessary to attend one night of auditions.)
REHEARSALS BEGIN: July 24
SHOW DATES: September 7 – October 1
DIRECTOR/CHOREOGRAPHER: Kim Wise
MUSIC DIRECTOR: John Edel
STAGE MANAGER: Ginny Riley
ABOUT THE SHOW
Life is fabulous in St. Tropez, in the sunny south of France, for long-time couple Georges and Albin. They run a drag nightclub, La Cage aux Folles, which they also live above in an apartment with their “maid,” Jacob. Georges is the emcee at the club, while drag queen Albin is the star performer (known as Zaza), backed up by Les Cagelles, the chorus line. Georges also has a son, Jean-Michel, the result of a confused fling in his younger years. But when Jean-Michel announces his engagement to Anne Dindon, the daughter of an ultra-conservative politician who wants to shut down the local drag clubs, meeting the in-laws gets tricky. Jean-Michel has already lied to his future in-laws about the identities and occupations of his parents, so Georges reluctantly agrees to play it straight for the Dindons. But Albin has other plans… because doesn’t every wedding need a mother of the groom? This hysterically funny musical was the inspiration for the 1996 hit movie The Birdcage, starring Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. With glittering gaiety and divine dance numbers, La Cage aux Follesredefines family with a flair that is tres magnifique!
- Albin: Male. Age range: 45-55. Vocal range: Baritone, A#2-G4. A performer of star quality. Mature. Great powerhouse of a Broadway voice. Fine comic actor. Must move well.
- Georges: Male. Age range: 45-55. Vocal range: Baritone, G2-F4. A star, mature and attractive. Good singer. Energetic, loving, and caring. Must move well.
- Jean-Michel: Male. Age: 18-22. Vocal range: Baritone, A#2-G4. Handsome, masculine. Georges’ son. Well-mannered, educated. Desperately in love with his fiancee, Anne. Acts, sings, and moves well.
- Jacob: Male. Age range: 20s-30s. Vocal range: Baritone, Bb2-Ab4. Georges and Albin’s butler/“maid.” Brilliant comedian who sings and moves well.
- Anne: Female. Age range: 18-22. Ensemble singing, range flexible. Jean-Michel’s fiancée. Lovely to look at. Spunky. A superb dancer who acts well.
- Edouard Dindon: Male. Age range: 45-55. Vocal range: Baritone, Bb2-Eb4. Anne’s father. A right-wing radical politician. Pompous, quirky. Must sing, move well, and be a fine comedian.
- Marie Dindon: Female. Age range: late 40s to early 50s. Vocal range: Mezzo, F4-A5. Anne’s mother. Shy, retiring, sexually repressed and sex-starved. Good singer and actress who moves well.
- Jacqueline: Female. Age range: middle-aged. Vocal range: Alto, B3-F5. Mature friend of Georges and Albin. Owns a chic restaurant. Attractive, charming, very theatrical. Not necessarily a singer.
- Renaud: Male. Age range: middle-aged. Ensemble singing, range flexible. Mature friend of Georges and Albin. Owns a small cafe.
- Francis: Male. Age range: 40s. Ensemble singing, range flexible. Male stage manager in Georges’ club. Strong actor/dancer.
- Les Cagelles: Male and female. Can range from 6-12 in number. Roles may include Chantal, Monique, Dermah, Nicole, Hanna, Mercedes, Bitelle, Lo Singh, Odette, Angelique, Phaedra, Clo-Clo. Ensemble singing, range flexible. Must be able to dance in heels, be comfortable in drag and willing to be clean-shaven.
- Townspeople: Madame Renaud (middle-aged, the wife of Renaud), Paulette, Hercule, Etienne (male friend of Jean-Michel), Babette, Colette (female friend of Jean-Michel), Tabarro, Pepe. Ensemble singing, range flexible.
ABOUT AUDITIONS, REHEARSALS AND PERFORMANCES
Actors 17 and older may audition.
Prepare a minimum of 32 bars from a musical-theatre song to perform at auditions. An accompanist will be provided. You must provide legible sheet music for the accompanist. No recorded accompaniment or a cappella auditions will be allowed.
A short dance number will be taught. Please wear (or bring to change into) comfortable, appropriate dance clothing and shoes – either dance shoes or closed-toed shoes. No sandals, flip-flops, or open-toed shoes are allowed.
Sides (excerpts from the script) will be provided for the acting part of the audition.
Newcomers and theatre veterans alike are welcome and encouraged to audition. If you are unable to attend the scheduled auditions, please contact the Theatre to make a separate appointment.
Copies of the script are available at the Theatre and may be checked out from the box office with a $10 refundable deposit. Box office hours are Monday through Friday, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Please call (352) 236-2274 before coming to make sure a script is in stock. If you check out a script the week before auditions, you must return it by 5:30 p.m. on Friday, July 14.
Rehearsals will begin July 24 and will be held Monday through Friday evenings from 7:00-10:00 p.m. at Ocala Civic Theatre. Please bring to auditions a list of potential conflicts with rehearsals.
There will be 20 public performances of La Cage aux Folles from September 7 – October 1.